What to Read: National Book Award Winners

The National Book Award winners were announced for Young People, Poetry, Non-Fiction, and Fiction!  I've always been a sucker for those little medals on the covers of books, but now that I do most of my book shopping electronically, I have to go directly to the medal's source, which is why this evening, while reading blogs and writing and watching Modern Family, I was also periodically clicking refresh on the National Book Foundation's website. From tonight's four winners, The Thing About Luck by Cynthia Kabonata and The Unwinding by George Packer both look intriguing. I decided to check out the rest of the finalist in each category too, and I already downloaded the sample for Far Far Away by Tom McNeal because I'm a sucker for fairytale-esque books a la Ella Enchanted, and it's nice to read a Young People's book every now and again.  (Side Note: I'm really excited about Into the Woods being made into a movie.) And as for the finalist from the grown people categories, Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin by Jill Lepore looks wonderful. Jane is the sister of the better-known Ben and described as just as intellectually savvy as he was and also the mother of TWELVE children. 

Also, Joanna recommended this book after hearing the real-life Don Draper speak, and I think I am going to try to convince Jason to read it with me and have a mini-book club over his Christmas break. 

Oh, the books!  Oh, the excitement! Oh, the rambling... sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forwward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS